Breakfast just got better with these 5-ingredient Blackberry Sage Breakfast Sausage Patties. No fillers and no preservatives – just flavor.
It’s not what we put in them, it’s what we didn’t.
Really, the name – Blackberry Sage Breakfast Sausage – pretty much says it all. There are no fillers, no preservatives and no added sugars in these babies. Just a little thyme, garlic and salt and pepper to round out the recipe. They’re about as clean and pared down as you can get for a breakfast sausage and still deliver great flavor and convenience. When it comes to ingredient lists, we think less is always more.
Blackberries and spice make everything nice.
Blackberries seem to the be redheaded step-child of the berry world for some reason. It seems as though strawberries, blueberries and raspberries get most of the attention and more real estate in the produce section. Which, frankly, is mind-blowing. Blackberries are sooooooo good and we think they deserve more love so that’s why we’re featuring them is these 5-ingredient breakfast sausage patties. We also love them for their health benefits and here’s why:
Blackberries are a great source of vitamin C and bioflavonoids.
Bioflavonoids are plant pigments that are largely responsible for the color of many fruits and plants. These compounds enhance the antioxidant effect of vitamin C, protect against cellular oxidation and free radical damage and prevent the formation of oxidized cholesterol which decreases the risk for cardiovascular disease and cancer.
High in fiber.
One cup of blackberries provides a whopping 8 grams of dietary fiber and just 14 grams of carbohydrate making them a satisfying, low-sugar snack option. Try a cup of berries with a small handful of nuts or seeds for a blood sugar-stabilizing on-the-go snack that will keep you satisfied (and deliciously contented).
Roughly 85% of the fiber in blackberries (and raspberries) is insoluble fiber with the remaining 15% coming from soluble fiber (mostly in the form of pectin). Both types of fiber are essential for healthy digestion and elimination. Soluble fiber soaks up water and turns to a gel (think chia seeds). This helps dampen blood sugar spikes and causes food to leave the stomach more slowly – thus keeping you fuller longer and stabilizing blood sugar for more consistent energy and fewer craving. Soluble fiber also adds bulk to your stool which helps prevent constipation which is why most fiber supplements are made of soluble fiber.
Unlike soluble fiber, insoluble fiber does not attract water and form a gel but rather contributes to healthy digestion by adding bulk to food and speeds up the passage of food and waste from the digestive tract (again, lessening the chances of constipation).
In general, women should aim for a total of 25 gram total fiber per day (38 grams for men). It’s pretty to safe to say that most people get only have the recommended amount when they’re consuming a diet that’s high in processed grains and low in fruits and vegetables. Don’t be that person, okay? Eat your veggies and treat yourself to some beautiful blackberries soon – either straight up, in a smoothie, tossed in a salad or in some Blackberry Sage Breakfast Sausage. Your digestion will thank you!
Berry season is coming!
Blackberries typically begin to appear at farmers markets in North America in early-mid June, peaking in July and lasting through mid-August so be on the look out for them. Buy extras to freeze on a sheet pan before transferring to a zip-top bag or lidded freezer container so you have some to savor after the season ends (because you’re going to want some of these Blackberry Sage Sausage patties when the weather turns cool again).
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except blackberries and coconut oil.
- Gently add the blackberries and shape mixture into 8 (2 oz.) patties. If frozen, you can gently stir or mix them in by hand. If using fresh berries, you may want to shape the patties then gently press a few berries into each.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tsp. coconut oil and allow to melt.
- Place patties in pan, being careful not to crowd them. Cook 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through.
- Remove from pan to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining patties.
- Store unused portion in a covered container in the fridge up to 4 days or freeze for longer storage.
Looking for more protein-packed breakfast sausage with a short ingredient list? Check out our Turkey Apple Sausage Patties!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.