For the BBQ Sauce:
- 6 ounces no-salt-added tomato paste
- ¼ cup pitted dates* (I used deglet dates so that was about 7 dates)
- 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard (may substitute yellow mustard)
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (use Hot Smoked Paprika for more heat)
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional, adds heat)
- 1 cup water or bone broth (+ 2–3 Tbsp. more to achieve desired consistency)
- ½ – 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- ½ tsp. liquid smoke* (optional)
For the Sweet Potato Wedges:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed and patted dry
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- Coarse salt and chopped parsley for sprinkling
* If your dates are not super soft, place them in a bowl and cover them with a bit of hot water to soften while you cut the sweet potatoes.
**For Whole30, be sure to choose a liquid smoke that does not contain molasses or other non-compliant ingredients (I use this one).
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- While the oven preheats, slice sweet potatoes (with skins intact) into wedges about ½-inch thick. Place sweet potato wedges on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, garlic powder, and chili powder. Drizzle over sweet potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes, flipping only when the undersides have begun to brown and crisp up a bit. Baking time may vary based on the thickness of your potatoes, the oven temp (not all ovens are true to temp so an oven thermometer is always a good idea) and the amount of moisture in the sweet potatoes.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, make the BBQ sauce.
- Place all BBQ sauce ingredients in the blender. Turn blender to ‘On,’ gradually increase the speed from 1 to 8 (medium-high) and blend for 1 minute. Stop, scrape down the sides of the blender container and process for 20 more seconds, if needed.
- Taste sauce and add additional salt to taste.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!