- 4 ounces fresh basil (about 2 cups packed leaves)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided (may sub avocado oil)
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- To the bowl of a food processor, basil walnuts, ¼ cup olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth, adding the final 2 Tbsp. olive oil through the chute in the lid while the motor is running.
- Taste, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- To keep pesto from browning, pour enough olive oil into the jar to completely cover the surface of the pesto.
- For longer storage, freeze pesto in ice cube trays then transfer frozen cubes to a zip-top bag. Thaw and use as a sauce or add frozen to soups or stews.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Nourished Recipes so credit is given where credit is due. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp.
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 30mg
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g