Feel the summer grilling vibes all year long with this Balsamic Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce!
This post was created in partnership with our friends at Tessemae’s.
Stop what you’re doing.
It’s time to talk steak and summer and grilling for just a minute. Okay, maybe two minutes because steak and summer and grilling!
Guuuuuys! It’s finally here. The official unofficial first day of summer came and went last week and I hardly noticed (except for the fact that I ran a mile, did 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 air squats and then ran another mile in the annual CrossFit Roots Memorial Day Murph workout). Besides that, it’s been raining and cool here in Boulder until now. Yay! Summer’s a comin’ … and pretty soon I’ll be complaining that it’s just too hot. Yeah, you too? #miserylovescompanyFeel the summer grilling vibes with this @whole30 Balsamic Flank Steak with Chimichurri #realfood Click To Tweet
But that’s not the point. The point is this Balsamic Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce that takes just minutes to prep, 4-24 hours to marinate and just a few more minutes to grill. Please don’t let it take just a few minutes to eat – it’s worth savoring.
To keep things really simple and Whole30-compliant I marinated the flank steak using Tessemae’s Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette. Sure, I could have mixed up my own marinade using oil, vinegar and spices but tossing the steak into a zip-top bag, dousing it with a pre-made dressing & marinade then tossing it in the fridge to do it’s thing took me less than 5 minutes to do and no dishes.
Get your own Tessemae’s dressings, marinades and sauces here or at your local Whole Foods, Target and many local grocery chains nationwide – which you can find using the Tessemae’ Store Locator)
Now let’s talk about this Chimichurri Sauce
I first tasted chimichurri in Argentina in 2003. It was unlike anything I’d ever had before. Until then I’d never really used parsley in cooking or as a plate garnish back in my restaurant and catering days. But this sauce – a blend of fresh parsley, garlic, lemon, salt and oil was intoxicating. Especially served over thinly sliced beef steak.
For those of you new to chimichurri, it’s like pesto. Only without the basil, cheese or pine nuts. Ok, so maybe it’s not really like pesto but it looks like pesto and it’s still fresh herbs + oil + acid + salt like pesto. It’s like South American pesto, mmkay?!
And it’s absolutely perfect when generously spooned over grilled Balsamic Flank Steak served a top Grain-free Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh. Like summer in a bowl.
- 1 ¼ – 1 ½ lbs. Flank steak (preferably grass-fed)
- ½ cup Tessemae’s Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette*
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 large clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil (may substitute olive oil)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
*May substitute ⅓ cup avocado oil + 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar + ¼ tsp. salt + ¼ tsp. pepper
- Place flank steak in a large zip-top bag. Add vinaigrette (or substitute). Seal bag and gently massage steak to coat. Place in refrigerator to marinate up to 24 hours, flipping bag once or twice during the process (if possible).
- When ready to prepare steak, remove from bag from the fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes while grill preheats.
- Preheat grill to high heat (400-450℉)
- Remove steak from bag and place on a clean plate. Sprinkle both sides with black pepper.
- When grill is hot, remove steak from bag and discard marinade. Place on grill grate over direct heat. Grill 5-6 minutes then flip steak and grill an additional 5-6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Note: Flank steak is best served medium-rare.
- Remove steak to a clean plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing diagonally across the grain.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 4 oz. Steak + 2 Tbsp. Sauce
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 169mg
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 20g
What’s your favorite way to marinate, make, serve or eat steak? Share in the comments below!
Pin now, make later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Tessemae’s. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always -100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.