For the Fish Sticks:
- Olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray
- 1 lb. cod fillets or white fish of choice, cut into 2–2 1/2 inch long pieces about ~½-¾ inch thick
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup King Arthur Almond Flour (86g grams)
- 2 Tbsp. King Arthur Coconut Flour (16 grams)
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
For the Homemade Tartar Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tsp. fresh dill or ¾ tsp. dried dill
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, more to taste
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup (optional, adds a touch of sweetness. Omit for Whole30)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray parchment with cooking spray.
- Prepare the fish. With a paper towel, pat the fish to absorb the liquid and place it on a plate.
- In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs.
- In another shallow dish, combine the flour, garlic, onion, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Make an assembly line with the ingredients in this order. Fish, egg wash, breading and prepared pan.
- Dunk the fish pieces into the egg wash, let excess egg drip off before coating the fish generously with breading – press the breading onto the fish to make sure it sticks and then place on the pan. Repeat until all of the fish is used up.
- Spray the breaded fish sticks with a generous amount of cooking spray. This will help them brown and crisp.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Flip carefully, spray again with cooking oil and bake for another 5-6 minutes. For extra crisp, broil for 1-2 minutes (watch closely as almond flour burns easily).
- While fish sticks are in the oven, make the homemade tartar sauce by combining and mixing all of the tartar sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When fish sticks are done baking, remove from the oven and serve warm with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe + 2 Tbsp. Tartar Sauce
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 900mg
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 18g