Kale and Sweet Potato Sauté: a side dish to enjoy all year round!
Hearty sweet potatoes and healthy kale come together to make an easy and versatile side dish that pairs well with beef, lamb, chicken, pork or fish. Top leftover Kale and Sweet Potato Sauté with a fried egg or two and you’ve got a breakfast that will keep blood sugars stable and carry you through the morning.
Cutting the sweet potato into small cubes helps you get this Kale and Sweet Potato Sauté on the table quickly. Feel free to substitute cubed butternut squash, if desired. And if cheese is your thing, you can’t go wrong with sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese here.
We make real food a convenience. 5 ingredients is all you need.
We like to keep it simple for you, creating recipes with less than 10 ingredients. And a quick side note, when we count the number of ingredients, we do not include salt and pepper as we assume everyone has that on hand. We hope you enjoy our short ingredient recipes!
- 2 cups cubed and peeled sweet potatoes, cut into ¼-inch cubes (about 1 large or 2 medium)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion (about ½ small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups kale, tightly-packed, washed and torn with tough stems removed (about 1 bunch)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet placed over medium-high heat.
- Add sweet potato and onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes or until onions and potatoes start to soften a bit.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add 2 Tbsp. water and cover with a lid. Cook additional 3-4 minutes or until potatoes are just about done.
- Add kale, toss well and continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted and tender.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
What’s your favorite way to use kale? Share in the comments below and let us know what other kale recipes you’d like to see.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.