Cucumber, Tomato Basil Salad
Summertime gardens are in full-effect for much of the Northern hemisphere right now – which means loads of fresh cucumbers, ripe tomatoes and luscious basil. Here we artfully combine this summertime triple-threat of veggies with chunks of creamy avocado for a light, yet satisfying, salad that pairs beautifully with just about anything you put on the table next to it. It’s quick to make and a perfect salad for those hot summer days, picnics and potlucks!
And if you really want to get a meal on the table fast — add a can of skipjack tuna, wild-caught salmon, sardines, rotisserie chicken or slices of leftover grilled steak, chicken or pork chops.
For all of you cheese lovers, feel free to add 1/4 cup of fresh goat, feta or mozzarella cheese to this Cucumber, Tomato Basil Salad. It adds a nice flavor component and creaminess that you’ll love.
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced or chopped (1 ½-2 cups)
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup red onion slices
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced (3 large leaves)
- ½ avocado, cubed
- 2 green onions, chopped (white parts only)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup feta or goat cheese, crumbled (optional-omit for vegan, dairy-free, whole30)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and toss.
- Allow to chill for at least 30 minutes before serving (or dig right in if you're pressed for time!)